Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Now, I wait (update from the IEP meeting)

The big Trey meeting was yesterday. You know, the one where I was supposed to tell them, yet again, that we did not think the IEP was sufficient to meet Trey's needs. My understanding was that the meeting was more of a formality; however, this was not the case. They had definitely revised the IEP, to include Audiology (once a week, hearing aid check), Teacher of the Deaf in class (one day a week for 45 minutes, more as a consultant), and an FM system. I felt as though they did listen to the suggestions we had made, but it all just fell short. The Teacher of the deaf that they arranged for works with 7 other school districts- not her fault, but still not the ideal situation. The audiologist they have contacted is certainly proficient with hearing aids, but has not hands-on experience with cochlear implants. I brought up that the structure of the preschool class is not set up to facilitate peer interaction, and they didn't see it my way, that's o.k. But, that is a fundamental key to AVT/oral programs. Anyway- I could go on and on, but I'll spare you all the long (BORING) post.

Suffice it to say, I did reject the IEP, stated my reasons why (which were questioned at length, but I stuck to my guns), and I'm now sitting and waiting for the district to get back to me. They offered up mediation, but it's too late for that now. We started this process 2 years ago, rejected the first IEP last June, and are still going back and forth- quite pleasantly, but enough is enough. I have a lot of respect for our school district, so I'm hopeful that they will really think about Trey, and what his needs are.

More later!

1 comment:

leahlefler said...

I hope you get everything settled and get all the services in place soon! They really should get an audiologist who is familiar with CI's. I wonder if you could get CI batteries covered under his IEP (g).