Monday, January 12, 2009

As we kept repeating to ourselves and our child....

it doesn't matter if you make the team. Just give it your all, and do you best. And, she did. We had zero expectations beyond that. She came home, after two long days of soccer. We gave her a hug and told her how proud we were of her. And we were, and the results didn't matter.

And then, the list came out. I scanned it, just because, knowing that there was NO way she would make it. But, there was a Delaney....but wrong last name. A sigh escaped.....I had a brief moment of thinking, maybe, just maybe. I scanned the rest of the list, and got to the last name. DELANEY, my Delaney. Yes, it really didn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but I was so, so, so proud of her. She was not the flashiest player out there (and never will be), but she was strong, and fast, and steady. She did not wear neon colors, or dye her hair to stand out. She just played for the team she was placed on for try outs, for better or worse. I would have been proud whatever the outcome, but I'm happy someone else recognized what we see every game, and every day.

I love you D!

No comments: