Friday, November 30, 2007

"More Parts", "Amelia Bedilia" and other great books....

One of our early teachers (who specialized in educating deaf/HOH kids) gave me some book recommendations (see title) because she felt in her experience, kids who were HOH tended to be very literal in their learning. I, of course, read these books to my oldest daughter, Delaney, all the time, and read them to Emily w/ some frequency. But, I think I had kind of forgotten that advice- Until the other day.

Jake and I were dropping Trey off at school, and Jake mentioned that he had to go to the bathroom. He tended to use this as a stall tactic, to avoid getting back in the car for the 30 minute trip home. I asked him if he 'really' needed to go, and he admitted that he probably could wait. I asked him several more times, and all three times he chimed in with "Nope....I can wait". At that point I told him "O.K., but if you think you have to go, you're going to have to hold it". "Huh?", he asked. And I told him, "You'll have to hold it". A few minutes later as we're walking to the car, I noticed him grabbing his shorts in an odd way, and I thought, "oh no....I knew he had to go to the bathroom", "Jake, what are you doing?" at which point he looked at me like I was crazy and said "Mom, you told me to hold it!".

I think it's time to pull out the books again- And, start using more expressions that will teach him how to be a bit less literal :)

Happy Friday

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course! That's a sweet story and very eye opening. My experience is only with my nonverbal 2 year old kiddo, but it makes sense that kids with trouble hearing might miss the nuances of things like idioms. Our language is pretty complex even for those without a hearing problem!

Mom to Toes said...

Great story!

So, what are the "other great books"? Do you have a list?

I'd love the tips.