Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Flashback Tuesday


Just a few random "facts" from the year 1986- I chose '86 because this was the year I started driving. Notice the price of gas (wouldn't it be nice....)

Cost of a new home: $111,900.00
Median Household Income: $24,897.00
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.22
Cost of a gallon of regular gas: $0.93
Cost of a dozen eggs: $0.87
Cost of a gallon of Milk: $2.22

Milk isn't that much more expensive- I'm surprised!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fun 80's facts from the year I graduated:

George Bush Sr. is elected President.

The greenhouse effect is discovered.

America's Most Wanted debuts.

Prozac is introduced to the public.

Sonny Bono becomes mayor of Palm Springs

Yo! MTV Raps debuts.

CD's outsell albums for the first time.

Lionel Richie's wife was arrested for assaulting Lionel and a model she found him with.

Burt Reynolds and Loni Anderson get hitched.

#1 Song of The Year: Roll With It - Steve Winwood.

"She's Like The Wind" shows Patrick Swayze can sing as well as dance and act.

Salt N Pepa get their breakthrough hit with "Push It".

Julia Roberts hits the big screen in her first breakthrough role in Mystic Pizza.

Top grossing film of the year: Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Spuds Mackenzie becomes the original party animal.

Oprah Winfrey is the hottest talk show in America (and possibly still is)

The new Suzuki Samurai gets bad reputation for flipping over when turning corners.

Penny Loafers with a penny in them and Levis with the cuffs rolled up were the fashion statements of the year (not where I lived???).

U2 records Rattle and Hum album and then later the documentary.

Flying chair thrown by skinhead hits Geraldo in the nose on his self titled talk show. (good times....)


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I also updated my playlist. I was getting really tired of the same songs, so I went with a theme. I was going to have everyone guess, but it's a bit obvious now. Anyway- for those of you too young to appreciate the musical gems I have selected I apologize. For the rest of you old people, myself included, I know there are many great songs not included. I'm also not sure I would let *my* children listen to some of this music-LOL.

I'll try to do a 'real' post later today :)

No comments: