Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I Met a Fellow Mom at Trey's School....

who happens to be deaf/HOH, raising (at least) two deaf children. We were standing near each other at the swingset, and she was asking me questions about Trey and his experience with his CI. Her daughter is going in for bilateral CIs next week. She was amazed at how well he is doing, and we continued talking about my other four. The look of astonishment on her face, when I told her that the other three are in inclusive classrooms, w/ little intervention was priceless:) My typical encounters are with hearing parents of hearing children (who also express some degree of amazement, when they figure out how deaf the children really are), or hearing parents of HOH/deaf children, who have similar experiences. She is the first deaf/HOH parent of deaf/HOH CI children who I've really spoken with. It was such a great conversation, and she truly is appreciative for even small steps. The fact that I have Emily who is completely, 100% deaf (for all intensive purposes....maybe a few dbs here and there), and is mainstreamed successfully is miraculous to her. It was a nice reminder how miraculous this technology really is (for us anyway). It reminded me we should be celebrating the small steps, as well as the huge leaps forward.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's really awesome that you could give her some hope!