Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Funny things kids say.......

O.K. Bonus post for the day (and please do not read if you are easily offended by swear words). I just have to chuckle every now and again, over the joys of spelling. So we were going over spelling homework last night, and my 7 year old had a page where she was given some beginning word sounds (i.e. SH, CH, WH, etc.), and some work endings (ICH, EN, AT....I think you probably get it now :) Well, at one point I look over her paper and I see the word, Shat......I tell my older daughter to hand over the only pencil we have with an eraser to E, so she can fix her word, and I try to explain that Shat, is not a 'nice' word, and her teacher might not want her to use that on her homework. "But, why isn't it nice", well it's past tense for a word that isn't a nice word. At which point my older daughter (who will be 11 on Sunday, mind you) chimes in w/ "But mom, I Shat w/ my friends all the time". "Um, Honey, I think you mean 'chat' , w/ a 'ch', don't you?" "Um....sure" .

Spelling when you can't hear certain sounds presents a challenge at times (or should I say "shallenge"? ) It would be nice to hear what they hear, not all the time, but just as a reminder every so often. Alright, gotta go vacuum, so it will look like I cleaned my house today- maybe I'll spray some Mr. Clean on some key areas, so the house will smell clean too.....

1 comment:

Mom to Toes said...

hahaha! Chat. Love it!