Wednesday, November 18, 2009

This week has been all about Martha....


Martha Stewart that is. The 7th graders were asked to complete a "suitcase" biography project, where they select an influential or notable person to focus their project on. After much thought (and realization that many of her first choices were already gone), Delaney chose Martha Stewart. The students had to create a poster board, dress like their person, and compile 15-20 artifacts (complete with artifact catalogues), and would get the opportunity to "become" their person for a night, to present their projects to the parents. Last night was the big night. The school library was packed with several Oprahs, a couple of Mia Hamms, a Stephen Hawking, a multitude of Elvis impersonators-both male and female, some Beyonce's, one Princess Diana, and many others.

Delaney's friends were dressed as Lance Armstrong (and she was very cute....), Dolly Parton (who chickened out at the last minute on wearing the wig and the *larger* balloons, and of course Delaney, wearing an apron and holding a platter of brownies to use as a bribe, I mean a prop ;) The project was a lot of work for child (and MOM), but the night was fun. Now I just need to remember to save all the artifacts and poster board so that Emily can be Martha also in a few years- save us some work ;)

Now I have to go be Martha-like and clean the house, and do some dinner prep work. Today Delaney had a late-start day, and the other kids have early release, which leave no time for me to get anything done...

3 comments:

leah said...

If Delaney is posing as Martha Stewart, can she come over to our house and tidy everything up? Also, a cobbler and hand-quilted place-mats wouldn't be amiss! She can leave the stock tips at home, though (g)!

What a fun way to get kids interested in history and influential people.

Loudest Mom said...

Leah-
Yes, although I must say....Martha leaves a little to be desired in the cleaning department so far ;) I too will steer clear of the stock tips-
Melissa

Danielle said...

To Loudest Mom- I need your help more than anything. I know your children have hearing aids and I read that they play sports. I was wondering how they keep there hearing aids on while they are playing sports. I am having trouble keeping my new hearing aids on. I dont know if there is a product out there to keep them on my ears. My ears are very tiny. I would love any feedback you can give. Thanks in advance. Smile-Hugs